Motor Insurance Contracts are subject to the basic principles applicable to property and liability insurance in general. The owner of the vehicle must bear a legal relationship to the vehicle whereby he or she stands to benefit by the safety of the vehicle, right, interest or freedom from liability and stands to lose by any loss , damage , injury or creation of liability.Scope of Cover
- There are two types of policies available
- Policy A ......to cover Act liability.
- Policy B ......to cover both own damage losses and Act liability.
Section I of Standard form of Private Car Policy ( B ) or Motor Cycle/Scooter Policy covers against loss or damage to the insured vehicle and/or its accessories whilst thereon.
- by fire , explosion ( both external and internal ) , self-ignition or lightening ;
- by burglary , housebreaking or theft ;
- by riot and strike ;
- by earthquake ( fire and shock damage ) ;
- by flood, typhoon , hurricane , storm , tempest , inundation , cyclone , hailstorm ;
- by accidental external means ;
- by malicious act ;
- by terrorist activity ;
- whilst in transit by road , rail , inland waterway , lift , elevator or air.;
Section II covers Liability to third parties which means this section provides indemnity to the Insured in the event of accident caused by or arising out of the use of the motor vehicle against all sums, including claimants costs and expenses, which the insured shall become legally liable to pay in respect of --
- death of or bodily injury to any person, including occupants carried in the motor vehicle, provided such occupants are not carried for hire or reward , but not where such death or injury arises out of and in the course of the employment of such person by the Insured. Limits of Liability under this section as per M V Act , 1988 is unlimited ;
- ) Damage to property other than property belonging to the insured or held in trust or in the custody or control of the insured. Limits of Liability is Rs.6000/- in respect of any one claim or series of claims arising out of one event but Tariff however provides for increased limits up to unlimited liability for TP ( Third Party ) property damage, at an additional premium.
- Consequential loss,wear and tear,mechanical or electrical breakdown, failures or breakages .
- damage to tyres unless the motor vehicle is damaged at the same time when the liability of the insurer is limited to 50% of the cost of replacement ;
- Any accidental loss or damage suffered whilst the insured or any person driving with the knowledge and consent of the insured is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.
- cost of part/s and allied labour , failure of which led any accident.
Vehicles plying outside the Geographical Area claim out of any contractual liability, vehicles being used otherwise than in accordance with the limitations as to use, being driven by any person other than a driver as stated in the Drivers Clause, nuclear risks, liability directly or indirectly arising from nuclear weapons material are the general exceptions.Basis of Sum Insured
Invoice price for new vehicle together with additional expenditure if any on accessories can be the basis of Sum Insured.